Social Skills Groups for Children and Young Adults
from the Antelope Valley to San Fernando Valley
Behavioral Learning Center offers several age-appropriate social skills groups that are based on empirically researched curriculums. Our centers are located in Santa Clarita, Antelope Valley, San Fernando Valley, and Calabasas. We offer social skills groups for children and young adults designed to provide them with the tools to build and maintain meaningful relationships with age-level peers. Social Skills Groups teach essential friendship making skills. An emphasis is also placed on teaching social thinking and perspective taking skills including the ability to adapt their behavior to match the surroundings. Social Skills Groups are designed for individuals between the ages of 5-25 and placement is determined by skill level and age range.
Social Skills Therapy for Kids in Santa Clarita and Calabasas
Whether you are in Santa Clarita, Calabasas, Antelope Valley, or San Fernando Valley, Behavioral Learning Center has a center for your child’s needs. Groups meet once a week for 90 minutes and consists of 3 to 8 individuals who are similar in age and skill level. Our social skills therapy for kids helps them learn to interact with others in healthy, meaningful ways. Sessions are broken down into three components: review of previous session, structured lesson with the introduction of a skill, role play or opportunity to practice the skill. A new skill is introduced each week, based on group need, and is facilitated by a trained professional. Group sessions are 60 minutes long, while the remaining 30 minutes are used for parent consultation and education.
Caregivers are given weekly feedback of child’s progress, along with generalized homework, based on the skill introduced, to practice in both the home and school setting. Professionals will also assist caregivers with resources and tools to implement targeted skills in a more naturalistic environment. Additionally, social events and peer/parent connections are recommended to offer more practice opportunities outside of sessions.
Our Social Skills Groups Include:
- Social Detectives (Ages 5 – 6): Foundational social skills focusing on greetings, farewells, personal space, eye contact, sharing, and turn taking.
- Social Thinkers (Ages 7 – 10): In addition to learning above mentioned skills, this group addresses social conversations, initiating and maintaining play, and sportsmanship.
- Pre-Teen (Ages 11 – 13): Builds on all above topics as well as initiating and maintaining conversations, appropriate use of humor, assertiveness, and expected vs. unexpected behaviors.
- Teen (Ages 14 – 17): Works on all targeted skills mentioned above, in addition to reading nonverbal cues, conflict resolution strategies, dealing with rumors or gossip, choosing friends, social media, self-monitoring, and rejection.
- Adult (Ages 18 – 25): This group targets all facets of social communication while introducing how to handle disagreements, dating, human sexuality, and vocational skills.
Additional SSG Topics
- Peer Pressure
- Friend Files
- Whole Body Listening
- Offering Assistance
- Trading Information
Methods of Payment
- Regional Center
- Private Pay
- Private Insurance
Current SSG Schedule
|Social Detectives||** Saturday|
|Thursday's 4:45-6:15pm||Tuesday's 6:00-7:30pm|
Monday’s Human Sexuality 4:00-5:30pm
** Planning to open groups
Schedule of Events/Resource Fairs
Shane’s Inspiration: March 17th, 2018 10:30-1:00pm
- Rocket’s Universe, 10844 Acama St., North Hollywood, CA 91602
- Sponsored by Universal
- YC, SSG, and In-home marketing
Social Skills Easter Event:
- TBD for each region
- Locations: Possibly Shane’s Inspiration Parks
- SSG practice opportunity
MomsLA, CityMoms, & SoCalMoms Summer Camp Resource Fair April 15th, 2018
- Crossroads Elementary School 1715 Olympic Boulevard, Santa Monica, California 90404
- SSG and YC summer camp marketing
Shane’s Inspiration: September 16th, 2018 Times: TBD
- Walk & Roll event, Shane’s Inspiration Playground at Griffith Park
- Marketing: SSG, YC, in-home services
Comfort Zone Camp: TBD
- SSG marketing & collaboration
- Non-profit bereavement organization